Canada: Creating a Sustainable Future:
You have been chosen by a local community group to raise awareness among the Canadian population about a social-environmental issue occurring somewhere in Canada. To do this you will need to effectively gather information on a topic and make recommendations for change (i.e. how to decrease the impact or increase the effect).
Day 1 –You will begin research by asking closed questions about your topic. You will use the database Canadian Points of View to answer these questions using a digital notetaker.
- Handout #1 -use this to ask closed questions about your topic AND get step-by-step instructions for how to use the Canadian Points of View database
- Pathfinder and Digital Notetaker -Complete Part #1
- Make a copy in your TDSB Google Drive (instructions can be found under Quick Tips > Google Apps > Making a copy
Day 2 -Now that you have the background information about your topic (closed questions), today you will begin asking open questions about your topic. You will continue to use the database Canadian Points of View to gather evidence and specific examples to support your research.
- Handout #2 -use this to ask open questions about your topic AND learn about Fact vs. Opinion
- Complete Part #2 of the Digital Notetaker above
To help you locate articles to answer your OPEN questions, use keywords found in the Topic Overview you read on Day 1. See below for assistance.
Don’t forget to check the Source Type on the left hand toolbar and select Newspapers or Magazines. See below.
Day 3 – Once you have completed your research, think about the impact your topic has on the environment / community / economy, etc. If your topic has a negative impact, what would you recommend to decrease its effect? If your topic has a positive impact, what might you recommend to increase its influence?
- Complete Part #3 of the Digital Notetaker above
- Handout #3:Graphic Organizer; use this to synthesize / summarize all the information you found AND your recommendations
- Handout #3 Example -use this to help you determine what your graphic organizer should look like
Let us know how you enjoyed your experience in the library and complete the Student Survey.