Death Penalty Argumentative Research Essay
Use the following handouts to assist you with researching and writing your paper.
Lesson 1,2: Gathering Background and Developing an Opinion (For/Against)
Click on the following:
- Canadian Points of View
- Opposing Viewpoints
- pro/con keyword list
Lessons 3,4: Research, Note Taking & Essay Outline
- Use databases to find five sources (news articles, facts) related to your side of the Death Penalty issue (for/against). See above for suggested sources. Email these articles to yourself.
- Copy and paste the Citation information to a Word document; number each source. You will use this for your Bibliography (you may also use easybib.com but always consult the Green Guide (p.71 in pdf or p.69 in print))
- Print the article and highlight the most important points. Follow the steps from Notetaking Tips to help you.
- Create a page for each subtopic. Take point form notes for each subtopic. Record the source number for each point (e.g. where did you get the information from).
- Create an outline using the blank essay outline. You may wish to look at the sample essay outline for help.